Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ugh...

I just threw up inside my own face.
CLICK ME

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify what exactly it is about this premise that bothers me. It's not the idea of tiny little indie bands I like, once my special little secret, being exposed to the masses. It's not the idea of bands I like "selling out" by allowing their songs to appear on TV shows or commercials (personally, I think it's a great way to get some quick exposure to a much larger audience [especially now that terrestrial radio and music television is effectively dead], as well as one of the only ways for small acts to get enough money in their pockets so that they may continue to record songs, put out records, and tour). It's not even the idea of people liking great songs not for their inherent greatness, but because it was the song to which their two favorite teen-drama characters first kissed.

What bothers me is the idea that, in order to get the American people interested in and aware of great new music, we have resorted to creating a teen web drama that revolves around a town called "Rockville," (more like "Barfville") where the music remains in the show's penumbra (law word!), while most of the focus stays on some girl trying to decide whether or not to go to the high school sockhop with the dreamy, blonde, convertible-driving, country club-going, all-star quarterback from the wealthy blue-blood family with the yacht, or to go with the dreamy, dark-haired, leather jacket-wearing, brooding, motorcycle-riding bad boy with a checkered past from the wrong side of town. Lame. So lame.

And, for those of you wondering, in high school I obviously fell into the latter category. Minus the leather jacket and the motorcycle and the checkered past and the brooding and the wrong side of town thing. So...just the dark-hair.

No comments: