Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Black Keys Interview GZA

This little nugget was on pitchfork.tv and I found it pretty refreshing (GZA, for all you crackers, is one of the members of the iconic rap group the Wu Tang Clan). Anywho, it's just an impromptu interview of sorts where two white guys that ape (in the best possible way) black music talk about music with one of hip-hop's more innovative artists. I guess I always enjoy when an artist from a genre exemplified by biggots and ignoramouses (Fiddy, Eminem, Soulja Boy, etc.) is able to articulate intelligent thoughts regarding the state of/circumstances surrounding his art.

When talking about the gentrification of popular music, GZA states the solution quite simply: "Do something that hasn't been done or do it in a different way."

And for those (like me) who bitch about the lack of support from the industry for innovative artists, GZA puts it simply: "Everything starts in the streets...there's always room for something [new]."

And, finally, to the artist that sets out looking to make those radio/club anthems: "I do music for myself because I don't know what [radio, clubs, and MTV are] gonna like...So I just do songs that I like and give it out to others."

Simply insightful.


No comments: