Monday, November 17, 2008

I say Nikolai He Says Nickel Eye


The Strokes' bassist Nikolai Fraiture, like guitarist Albert Hammond, Jr. and drummer Fabrizio Moretti, is releasing a solo disc (Time of the Assassins) while waiting for the Strokes to get their act together (allegedly on a break until 2009). All I've heard is what he's got up on his myspace, but, as with Moretti, it's the Strokesiest song that first grabs me. I doubt that this album will get to me as much as Little Joy has, but the first track on the myspace, "Brandy of the Damned," is a little catchy, if not a little repetitive. It sounds a tiny bit like Sublime in that "white boy doing reggae" way, not in a that "chadbrochill" way. Listen HERE. 

1 comment:

GT said...

I have the sneaking suspicion that the next Strokes album will have something of a White Album feel to it--still Stroke-y, but with each member writing his own song and turning the thing into something of a variety album.

Or they'll get chemically altered and pull a 10 songs in two days binge and that'll be that.