Saturday, May 2, 2009

Buddy Holly Gets Rickrolled


I occasionally go through these weird intense periods of obsession with bands that I had never really been hung up on before. Last summer it was Sam Cooke. This past winter it was Nirvana (Kurt Cobain more specifically). There's usually a small event that prompts the obsessive period. For Sam Cooke, it was a vinyl I snagged at a garage sale. For Nirvana, it was the excellent Kurt Cobain movie "About A Son." Now it's Buddy Holly, possibly prompted by last February's 50th anniversary of Buddy's death and last night's win of an excellent Buddy Holly and the Crickets vinyl off of ebay. I can't stop reading about him and looking at pictures and listening to tunes. I stumbled upon this audio recording of a phone call Buddy made to his label boss. The background for the call is simple enough: Buddy Holly and his band were recording some bomb-ass tracks, and the label was sitting on them. Buddy wanted to take the songs to someone that would put them out. Just a classic example of music industry mismanagement. But I include the audio because Buddy just seems like the nicest guy in the world his sense of style was just flawless and it makes me sad that he was getting Rickrolled and it makes me sad that he's gone.

1 comment:

Ryan Kloberdanz said...

When I was a young Klob-pup, my dad said he was going to introduce to me rock n roll. The first tape he gave me was Buddy Holly & the Crickets.