Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's New To Me: Ra Ra Riot

So I'm starting this new gimmick called "it's new to me..." I'm going to use it when there is a band that has been around for a bit that I never got around to listening to that blows me away when I finally hear them. 

Enter Ra Ra Riot. 

I don't know why I never gave them a chance before, because besides having a crazy sad rock 'n roll story (band did a show in Rhode Island and the original drummer/co-founder/co-songwriter disappeared after the gig only to be found dead three days later) and a crazy hawt band member (the cellist), the band has got the chops to back it up. Fans of Vampire Weekend will probably find a lot to like here, what with the vocals sounding not too far of from Ezra Koenig and all the string arrangements. 

Seriously, I can't recommend this band enough. Check out this great track from the debut full-length The Rhumb Line. 


And then check out this great live video of "Dying Is Fine."


2 comments:

slb said...

saw them open for death cab and they were amazing, esp the sexy little cello player.

kappy said...

I know. I remember you saying that, and that's sort of what sparked me to rip the album when I was at KRUI the other day. Just ordered the vinyl. Seriously obsessed right now.