Friday, May 29, 2009

KOL Tell Mojo "New Album Might Be Hard To Swallow"


First of all, I can swallow anything from the Kings of Leon. N. E. THING. Second of all, awesome. I'm not mad/upset/bothered/annoyed/etc. at their recent success in the least bit. Glad people are coming around. But the majority of their last effort didn't do it for me. Just didn't think the material was that strong. Some of the lyrics felt a little contrived. Some of the lyrics were just plain awful (see "I Want You" ["Home-boy's so proud finally got the video proof / the night vision shows she was only duckin' the truth / it's heavy, I know, the black guy with the gift down below / a choke and a gag, she spit up & came back for more"....seriously?!? that lyric is about a (presumably) white guy that used a video recorder to somehow catch his girlfriend choking on a black man's large penis and enjoying it...I mean, seriously?!?]).

But I digress. I'm excited that the band is looking to push themselves musically into some different territory. I know that opening for bands like U2 and Pearl Jam (moreso the former than the latter) informed a lot of the way OBTN sounded. Maybe having the Walkmen open for them will inform a bit of what this next album sounds like. All in all, I'm hoping this means that the Kings will be putting a new foot forward. Or maybe they'll be putting an old foot in a new direction. Or a new foot in an old direction. I guess I don't really care. Just ready for something other than what I got last time. 

No comments: