Saturday, July 18, 2009

Baboom!



Spongebob has finally become a trending topic on Twitter! I've been watching the fantastic Spongebob Squarepants for over nine years. And for over nine years, I have been ridiculed mercilessly by friends, family, and acquaintances (including being called "some kinda queer" by a friend's dad for showing up on Halloween in an SBSP costume). Well, who's the laughing non-queer now?

To be honest, you all are probably still laughing, and I'm sure my friend's dad will still find me to be "some kinda queer". I mean, an unemployed 26 year-old man (and I use the word "man" in the loosest sense of the word) getting excited that a cartoon (about an overly-excitable sea sponge that lives in a pineapple under the sea and a day job as a fry cook) has become a trending topic on a social networking site dominated by pre-teens...well, when it's laid out like that, it does sound a little pathetic. But I'll take my wins where I can get them, and I consider today a big 'ol "W" for me.

And to Mr. Squarepants: for the past nine years, no matter how down on my luck I was, or how down on myself I was being, you were always able to brighten my day with your guttural laughs. Your incorrigible optimism, your unbridled passion for life, and your uncanny ability to appreciate everything and everyone, no matter how colossal their flaws may have seemed to others, has truly been an inspiration to me, teaching me how to be a better person and a better friend (I mean that without the slightest bit of sarcasm). And for that, I'd just like to say thanks. I hope you're around for another nine years.


You sure do, big guy. You sure do.


P.S. For any of the uninitiated, I suggest you to watch THIS 11 MINUTE EPISODE, ENTITLED "SAILOR MOUTH." As far as I'm aware, it's the only episode of a cartoon (which, remember, is primarily aimed at young children) that is entirely based on a sponge, a starfish, and their uncontrollable use of profane language. Classic

No comments: