Thursday, September 10, 2009

Seattle Rock Icons Pt. II :: Kurt Cobain

The legendary Kurt Cobain. I don't know what I could possibly say. A fan of Nirvana since middle school (when Nevermind was an ESSENTIAL part of every suburban kids limited CD collection), it wasn't until just last fall when I became absolutely infatuated with Kurt and Nirvana. Needless to say, when I went to Seattle I wanted to soak in as much Cobain/Nirvana-related stuff as possible. At first, I tried to focus on mostly the positive stuff, like going to the venue where the band performed their first show ever or the original Sub Pop headquarters, but to no avail (the former has become an emo hair salon, the latter an inconspicuous office building). So I resorted to checking out the more morbid attractions, namely, the site of Kurt Cobain's death. Don't want to get too much into the details of that event, but right outside Kurt's former gated estate, there are two benches, covered in fan-graffiti (some heartfelt and moving, some really hurtful stuff about Courtney, and everything in between) and little gifts, like cigarettes and guitar pics. It was really an emotional an awe-inspiring experience. Amazing that in four short years one man could connect with the angst of so many kids and leave an impression that's lasted for two decades and shows no sign of stopping.

No comments: